This incredible shredded salad is going to blow everyone’s mind at the table! It’s hard to beat the flavor of fresh veggies, homemade Italian dressing, and shaved Parmesan cheese in a salad.
Are you looking for a truly delicious salad to serve on the side with your meals? Alex and I are constantly on the lookout for a scrumptious mixed green salad. (Don’t you think it’s similar to a great pair of shoes?) Please accept this excellent chopped salad as our offering; it has quickly become our new go-to meal. It is polished and tailored to perfection.
The homemade Italian dressing that we make here in the restaurant is tangy, salty, and herbaceous. To give it some kick, add some shallots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and pepperoncini. The finishing touch is some grated Parmesan cheese. Are you ready to make some food? So you really ought to add this chopped salad to your repertoire of dishes to prepare.
How to Make a Chopped Salad
This salad was a hit at a dinner party that we hosted over the weekend and served it. Wow! What kinds of things are included in this salad? There was some background chatter at the table. When you discover that a recipe is definitely one to keep! It might not look like much, but it’s actually one of our all-time faves.
The homemade Italian dressing recipe is the star of this chopped salad that we’ve put together. The flavor is balanced thanks to the addition of garlic, white wine vinegar, and maple syrup. The spice level is high. An earthy flavor can be achieved by using dried herbs such as basil, thyme, and oregano. (Below you’ll find some suggestions for what to wear.)
To make this chopped salad, the only other thing you need to do is chop the ingredients, as the dressing is already included. These components bring to mind a chopped salad typically found in Italian cuisine. You are free to make whatever adjustments to the vegetables that go into this chopped salad that you see fit, but we think the following combination works really well:
- The vegetables shallot, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes are crisp.
- Jarred pepperoncini: add sourness and fire
- Green olives add just the appropriate amount of saltiness.
Tip for Making Homemade Italian Salad Dressing
The key to making a tasty chopped salad is to make your own salad dressing from scratch. The following are some suggestions that can be used to create a creamy emulsion in which the oil and vinegar blend in an ideal manner:
- By hand, whisk with a big whisk.
- Use a medium-sized basin to allow for sufficient whisk action. (Believe us, we’ve tried it in little bowls and it’s nearly impossible to combine the oil and vinegar.)
- Add the olive oil in increments. We add it tablespoon by spoonful while whisking until the oil is completely incorporated.
Turn Chopped Salad into a Main Dish!
Because this chopped salad is so delicious, you’ll find yourself wanting to prepare it for each and every meal. You might give it a little more variety by transforming it into a salad for the main course and having that for supper. We would propose that you:
- Add some protein, such as diced chicken, eggs that have been hard-boiled, or seared ahi tuna.
- Cornbread or artisan bread would be a nice accompaniment to this dish.
- 1 recipe Homemade Italian Dressing
- 1 Romaine heart (3 cups)
- 5 cups leafy lettuce
- 1 large shallot
- 1 English cucumber (2 cups chopped)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup ripe green olives, halved
- ½ cup jarred sliced pepperoncini
- ¼ cup Parmesan shavings or shreds, plus more to serve
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
Create your own version of homemade Italian dressing.
romaine and lettuce should be chopped. Shallots should be sliced very thinly. Cucumbers should be peeled and chopped. tomatoes and olives should each be cut in half.
To make the salad, add all of the ingredients, including the dressing, and toss until everything is evenly distributed. If making ahead of time, store the components in separate containers in the refrigerator; just before serving, bring the dressing to room temperature.